- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup bumpy road farm cornmeal
- 1/2 cup smoked bumpy road farm cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 bunch scallions cleaned and chopped
- 1 pint aji dulce peppers, stemmed, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 bunch greens (like kale or purple broccoli greens), cleaned and chopped
- 1 handful chopped fresh herbs (like sage, rosemary and thyme)
- 2 cups stock
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the cornbread (you can make this a day or more in advance)
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees. While it’s preheating put oil in a 9 inch square casserole dish. Place pan in oven.
- Meanwhile, combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix eggs into milk, then stir this mixture into dry ingredients.
- When the oven is hot, remove pan from oven, pour batter into it and smooth out top. Return pan to oven. Bake 30 minutes, until top is lightly browned and sides have pulled away from pan; a toothpick inserted into center will come out clean.
For the dressing:
- Preheat the oven to 325. Slice the cornbread into small cubes about 3/4 inches and place on a baking sheet, toast in the oven turning occasionally until crispy about 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven up to 425.
- In a large cast iron pan over medium heat, saute onions for 1 minute until fragrant, then add the aji dulce peppers, cooking another 2 minutes. Add the kale and fresh herbs, saute until the kale is wilted but still bright green.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the toasted cornbread cubes, veggies and stock. In a separate bowl whisk eggs and add the baking powder, whisk again to combine. Pour the eggs over the cornbread mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 casserole dish and bake 30 minutes or until browned and crispy on the top.