This dish is a great way to use a lot of fresh Summer squash. It is healthy and easy to put together. Be sure to cut the squash into small cubes so that it cooks quickly. You can poke the casserole with a knife at the end of baking to be sure the squash is cooked all the way through. The knife should go through easily with no resistance.
- 3 pounds (approximately) Yellow Squash or Zucchini or a mix of both, cut into small cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos (optional), finely diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- Butter or oil to grease
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup salsa (store-bought or home-made)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9×13 casserole dish with butter or oil.
- In a large bowl mix together squash, onions, jalapeno, black beans, taco seasoning, salt and half of the cheese. Sprinkle all over with flour and toss to coat.
- Pour mixture into the greased dish and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and uncover, pour salsa over the top of the casserole and top with the remaining cheese. Return to oven and bake another 30 minutes.