Buttery summer squash is so wonderful and versatile. You have got to make yourself a squash casserole while it’s still in season.
- 8 cups yellow squash, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 slices of leftover bread, toasted and diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter (plus more for topping)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a 12in oven-safe skillet, saute squash and onions. Cook for about 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Add half the toasted bread, half the cheese, eggs, milk, sour cream, butter, salt & pepper and mix well.
- Top with remaining bread then cheese.
- Put a few extra dots of butter on the top of the casserole, and bake for about 25 minutes or until bubbling and golden.
Adapted from Num’s the Word