Work at Handsome Harvest Farm
Handsome Harvest farm is a diversified vegetable, flower, herb and fruit farm located in West Quincy Florida, about 25 miles from Tallahassee. We grow year-round for the Tallahassee Farmers’ market, the Red Hills Online Market and local restaurants. Our land encompasses 11 acres, with 2 acres of vegetable, flowers and herbs and 3/4 of an acre of fruit.
We are looking for a part-time farm crew member to join our team. Experience on our farm provides an opportunity to learn about growing, harvesting, and marketing methods for a whole range of crops. Gain hands-on experience using a variety of tools and equipment, and have the opportunity for physical and personal growth.
Position: Part-Time Farm Crew Member
Job Summary: The farm crew member will work with the farm manager in all aspects of operating a successful, reputable and professional farm, including:
- Harvesting, washing, packing and labeling fruits and vegetables including proper food safety practices
- Post-harvest cleaning totes, equipment and packing area
- Planting and tending to crops
- Production of transplants
- Organic management of weeds, pests and disease
- Drip-irrigation system set-up and maintenance
- Saturday Farmers Market Setup and Sales
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal applicant has a commitment to sustainability and organic agriculture, is a hard-worker, is self-motivated and works well with others as well as alone. Farm work is often dirty and tiring – hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter. A sense of humor and a good frame of mind are key to a successful career in sustainable agriculture.
If hired, there will be a one month trial period for both farm manager and worker to determine whether the fit is right for all.
- Passionate about farming
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs
- Be prepared to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Patience, flexibility, strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Reliable transportation to and from work
Farm work experience is not required.
At no time should employees be intoxicated during working hours, in order that we maintain a safe workplace for all.
Hours: Ranging between 20-32 hours per week. Must be available to work Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8am-5pm with a one-hour lunch break. Additional hours possible depending on farm needs and employee availability. Optional work on Saturdays at the Farmers Market 7am-12:30pm.
Compensation: Compensation starts at $9 per hour with opportunities for pay increases and end of year bonuses for employees who demonstrate good work ethic and commitment to the team.
In addition, during week days vegetarian lunch is provided. Employees may also receive produce to take home on harvest days.
Health insurance and disability insurance are not provided. Employees are encouraged to carry their own health insurance. Employees are required to complete form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and a W-4 upon hire.