Work at Handsome Harvest Farm
Handsome Harvest farm is a diversified vegetable, flower, herb and fruit farm located in West Quincy Florida, about 25 miles from Tallahassee. We grow year-round for the Tallahassee Farmers’ market, the Red Hills Online Market and local restaurants. Our land encompasses 11 acres, with 2 acres of vegetable, flowers and herbs and 3/4 of an acre of fruit.
We are looking for a part-time farm crew member to join our team. Experience on our farm provides an opportunity to learn about growing, harvesting, and marketing methods for a whole range of crops. Gain hands-on experience using a variety of tools and equipment, and have the opportunity for physical and personal growth.
Position: Part-Time Farm Crew Member
Job Summary: The farm crew member will work with the farm manager in all aspects of operating a successful, reputable and professional farm, including:
- Harvesting, washing, packing and labeling fruits and vegetables including proper food safety practices
- Post-harvest cleaning totes, equipment and packing area
- Planting and tending to crops
- Production of transplants
- Organic management of weeds, pests and disease
- Drip-irrigation system set-up and maintenance
- Occasional Saturday Farmers Market Setup and Sales
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal applicant has a commitment to sustainability and organic agriculture, is a hard-worker, is self-motivated and works well with others as well as alone. Farm work is often dirty and tiring – hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter. A sense of humor and a good frame of mind are key to a successful career in sustainable agriculture.
- Passionate about farming
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs
- Be prepared to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Patience, flexibility, strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Reliable transportation to and from work
Farm work experience is not required, but an interest in working with plants, gardening or outdoors is helpful.
At no time should employees be intoxicated during working hours, in order that we maintain a safe workplace for all.
Hours: Ranging between 20-32 hours per week. Must be available to work Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 8:30am-5pm with a lunch break. Additional hours possible depending on farm needs and employee availability including work on Saturdays at the Farmers Market 7am-12:30pm.
Compensation: Compensation is $10 per hour.
In addition, during week days vegetarian lunch is provided. Employees may also receive produce to take home on harvest days.
Health insurance and disability insurance are not provided. Employees are encouraged to carry their own health insurance. Employees are required to complete form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and a W-4 upon hire.