We both absolutely love cauliflower, and this dish is probably our absolute favorite. Every time we go out to our favorite Indian restaurant we have to order this dish. It took many attempts to figure out how to recreate it at home, and I think we finally have figured it out.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup Water
- 1 large head cauliflower (or two small), florets cut small
- 2 tsp high heat oil
- 1 Red Onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup Ketchup
- 1/3 cup Chili Garlic Sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 4 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp Water
- 4 Spring onions, Chopped
- Small handful Cilantro
- Heat deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Wisk together flour, corn starch, salt and black pepper. Add water and wisk to combine, the batter should be the consistancy of a thick gravy that coats the cauliflower evenly. If it is too thick you can add up to 1/4 cup more water. If you accidentally add too much water, add a little more flour to thicken it up.
- Dip florets in the batter, drain excess batter and then add to the fryer. Cook until starting to brown, turning in the fryer at least once. Remove the florets from the fryer and drain on paper towel. You will have to do several batches, it took about 5 for my small fryer.
- Once the last batch is in the fryer, it is time to make the sauce. Add oil to a frying pan on medium heat, once hot add the red onions. Saute and stir occasionally until starting to brown.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine Ketchup, Chili Garlic Sauce, Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar, sugar and wisk to combine.
- Once the onions are starting to brown add the garlic and saute until the raw smell goes away, about 1 minute. Turn the heat down to medium low and add the sauce mixture.
- Combine corn starch and water in a small bowl, then add to the sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes longer to thicken then turn off the heat.
- In a very large bowl, combine the fried cauliflower and sauce and gently mix together until all the florets are covered. Serve immediately and garnish with chopped spring onions and cilantro.