Spaghetti squash is quite versatile and easy to use. If you plan in advance you can roast it up in the oven, and have it ready to go for whatever dish you are preparing.
- 2 Spaghetti Squash cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 1 + 1/2 cups mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup de-seeded and chopped sweet peppers (I used aji dulce and purple bell peppers)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bunch of greens cleaned and chopped (I used kale)
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp minced fresh herbs (I used Sage and Rosemary)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup cheese of your choice
- Salt + Peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Drizzle the inside of your squash with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and baked cut side down for 40 minutes.
- While squash is baking, prepare your sauce. Saute onions for 3 minutes or until just starting to brown.
- Add peppers, mushrooms and garlic and continue to saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add kale and tomato sauce.
- Once the squash is done, remove it from the oven and shred the “noodles” with a fork. Scoop the noodles into a colander to drain excess liquid (press a bit with the back of a spoon). Then add to the sauce, stir to combine, and place back into the squash halves.
- Top with cheese, and return to the oven to bake 10 minutes or so longer. Alternatively you can broil to get the cheese crispy.