Work at Handsome Harvest Farm
Handsome Harvest farm is a diversified vegetable, flower, herb and fruit farm located in West Quincy Florida, about 30 minutes from Tallahassee. We grow year-round for the Tallahassee Farmers’ Market, our Farm Club Memberships, the Red Hills Online Market and local restaurants. Our land encompasses 11 acres, with 3 acres of vegetable, flowers and herbs and an acre of fruit.
We are looking for a part-time seasonal farm crew member to join our team during cut flower season April-June/July. Experience on our farm provides an opportunity to learn about growing, harvesting, and marketing methods for a whole range of crops. Gain hands-on experience using a variety of tools and equipment, and have the opportunity for physical and personal growth.
Position: Seasonal Farm Crew Member
Job Summary: The seasonal farm crew member will primarily assist with harvesting and packaging including working with our cut flowers. Other duties may include:
- Harvesting, washing, packing and labeling fruits and vegetables; including proper food safety practices
- Post-harvest cleaning totes, equipment and packing area
- Planting and tending to crops
- Production of transplants
- Organic management of weeds, pests and disease
- Drip-irrigation system set-up and maintenance
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal applicant has a commitment to sustainability and organic agriculture, is a hard-worker, is self-motivated and works well with others as well as alone. Farm work is often dirty and tiring. A sense of humor and a good frame of mind are key to a successful career in sustainable agriculture.
- Reliable transportation to and from work
- Passionate about farming
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs
- Be prepared to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Patience, flexibility, strong communication and interpersonal skills
Farm work experience is not required, but an interest in working with plants, gardening or outdoors is helpful.
At no time should employees be intoxicated during working hours, in order that we maintain a safe workplace for all.
Hours: Around 16 hours per week. Ideal schedule:
– Wednesday & Friday 8AM-5PM
Compensation: Compensation is $12.50 per hour.
Vegetarian lunch is provided during full work days. Employees may also receive produce to take home on harvest days.
Health insurance and disability insurance are not provided. Employees are encouraged to carry their own health insurance. Employees are required to complete form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and a W-4 upon hire.