Position: Farm Crew Member
Job Summary: The farm crew member will work alongside the farm crew in all aspects of operating a successful, reputable and professional farm.
- Harvesting, washing, packing and labeling fruits and vegetables; including proper food safety practices
- Post-harvest cleaning totes, equipment and packing area
- Planting and tending to crops
- Production of transplants
- Organic management of weeds, pests and disease
- Drip-irrigation system set-up and maintenance
- Other duties as assigned
The ideal applicant has a commitment to sustainability and organic agriculture, is a hard-worker, is self-motivated and works well with others as well as alone. Farm work is often dirty and tiring – hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter. A sense of humor and a good frame of mind are key to a successful career in sustainable agriculture.
- Reliable transportation and ability to arrive at the farm on time ready to work
- Passionate about farming
- Able to lift and carry 50 lbs
- Able to frequently stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl
- Able to keep working during the entire work day (besides designated breaks)
- Be prepared to work outside in all weather conditions
- Attention to detail
- Able to work independently and as part of a larger team
- Able to maintain communication with the team in a friendly and professional manner
- Positive attitude, upbeat and caring for coworkers even when tasks are difficult
Farm work experience is not required, but an interest in working with plants, gardening or outdoors is helpful.
At no time should employees be intoxicated during working hours, in order that we maintain a safe workplace for all.
Ranging between 30-40 hours per week. Must be available to work:
– Tuesday-Friday 8AM-5PM
– Saturdays at the farmers market 7AM-12:30PM*
*Saturday market schedule may alternate weekends off/on with other farm crew members
- Compensation starts at $13 per hour
- Free vegetarian lunch provided during full work days.
- Free produce from the farm
- Year end bonus
- A nice farmer’s tan
Health insurance and disability insurance are not provided. Employees are encouraged to carry their own health insurance. Employees are required to complete form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification and a W-4 upon hire.